Welcome to Machrihanish, the Jewel in Kintyre’s Crown…
Machrihanish ( Machaire Shanais or plain of whispers in the old tongue) – Located on the Kintyre Peninsula, Argyll, on the West Coast of Scotland.
Facing outwards to Ireland and the Atlantic, famous for it’s sunsets and Golf, amongst other things of course.
Machrihanish has a classic links golf course, the original Machrihanish Golf Club course, designed by Old Tom Morris and ranked highly among golfers far and wide. One survey alone lists it as the best opening hole in the world.
A new course has also been built nearby. The new Links course is called Machrihanish Dunes and has an award winning environmentally-sympathetic design. Part of a multi-million pound development by an American company, which has renovated the old Ugadale Arms Hotel (Now knows as simple The Ugadale Hotel, formerly known as The Machrihanish Hotel and Pans Hotel) as well as the Royal Hotel on the front in Campbeltown.
Machrihanish beach runs 5 miles north to Westport, providing some of the best surfing in Scotland. Basic accommodation is available for surfing groups in the Machrihanish village hall and Machrihanish Holiday Park provides excellent accommodation in the form of static caravans, wooden wigwams and camping spaces.
Click HERE for a Machrihanish Tide Time 7 Day Table
For the more active visitors to machrihanish, it is worth noting that the Kintyre Way passes through Machrihanish from nearby Campbeltown and continues on southwards to the Scottish Wildlife Trust’s Largiebaan Reserve.
Campbeltown Airport, formerly RAF Machrihanish (RNAS Machrihanish), is located near the village. The former airbase has been taken over by the especially-formed Machrihanish Airbase Community Company.
Coal has been mined at Machrihanish since the 1400’s and earlier. Originally carried by Canal, the coal from The Machrihanish Coalfield (Argyll Colliery) was one of Britain’s smallest coalfields and produced low grade coal mainly used to supply the many Whisky Distilleries in Campbeltown, once the self proclaimed ‘Whisky Capital of the World’
Machrihanish and the surrounding area was often an inspiration for renowned local marine and landscape painter William McTaggart, who came from Aros Farm, Nr Machrihanish.
Reginald Aubrey Fessenden made history with the first ever cross Atlantic voice transmission here at Machrihanish. He built a radio transmitting station with a 400-foot (120 m) high mast here in 1905 to transmit using Wireless Telegraphy to his other station at Brant Rock in Massachusetts, USA.
An exchange of messages took place on 1 January 1906 but the mast blew down in a gale on 5 December 1906 and was never rebuilt.
The Argyll Colliery line was extended from Kilkivan to Machrihanish to become The Campbeltown & Machrihanish Light Railway Company. This opened in 1906 and finally closed in 1932.
Please note that we are still updating the site. Please feel free to contact us if you find any errors or have some additions to suggest, thank you & Haste ye Back.